Monday, January 23, 2012

The BIG loss! Part 1

I was 20 years old when I woke up one morning, and looked in the mirror to see myself weighing in around 308lbs. I knew I had gained weight, I knew I was big. But honestly it got so out of control so fast that I had no idea I was over 300! I was a sophomore at Texas State University, I was in a sorority, I had tons of friends, a boyfriend, and I was having a blast! But what I didn't realize was that I was not living to be the person I was created to be.


Growing up on a cutting horse ranch in Texas, I was always busy. Always moving, and always on a diet! I had done weight watchers about 3 times before I graduated from high school. I would lose 20 lbs here and gain 40 back. But the big gain didn't come until college. I stopped riding horses, never exercised, and was just ready to have fun.


I remember calling my mom, telling her I had had enough. I was ready to make a change. I went with them that weekend down south to work horses. What a harsh realization when I couldn't life my huge body onto the horse. Forget fitting into the saddle....my rear end poured over the back of the saddle. I was out of breath before I loped around the arena 2 times. I was devastated. That is it, I was finally ready to make a commitment to my health.


2 weeks following our trip down south, I was meeting with a bariatric surgeon in San Antonio. That is when I found out I was over 300....what a terrible day. But it was also a great day, because I was on my way to making a change. 2 weeks following that meeting, I was admitted to the hospital for my RNY Gastric Bypass. I broke up with my boyfriend the day after my surgery. My eyes had been opened to the kind of life I was living, and if I was going to make a change, I had to start fresh.

July 2006, being inducted into the NYCHA Hall of Fame, with my grandparents!


The first weight loss happened insanely fast. It just started falling off. By Halloween I felt better than I ever had, sexy even. By Thanksgiving I was a new girl, and at Christmas I was sooo happy, and I was getting there, slowly I was getting healthy.


Thanksgiving 2006, at home with Poppy
Christmas 2006 with my roomie, Cyndi 

Stay tuned for more of my story, there is SOOOO much more to tell!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go girl!! Very brave post. Many women can relate to this. Have you read Made to Crave? I think you and I should take a group of women through that book as a study. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story Ryan! You are so brave! Such a good idea to blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, being the boyfriend's friend, I never understood why y'all broke up. I do now, and I totally understand. There comes a point where you have to just look at what you can change and change it. I'm proud of you for taking the initiative and doing so well for yourself. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this particular blog, and will be starting one too when I get to my parents' in March and life slows down a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girl. I know how brave you are and a huge role model! you are an amazing woman! and im proud to call you my friend.!!!!

    ReplyDelete