Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Adding Years To My Life...

Please enjoy this guest post from my Husband, the one and only JUSTIN MAJOR!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm proud to be a "logical" person. I weigh every situation with as much information as I can before I make a decision. Any kind of statistics and research that I can point to always helps solidify my opinions and actions, that being said...

Ryan had gotten on my case about going to the doctor last year and after quite a bit of prodding I decided to go ahead and make an appointment, although I told her exactly what the doctor was going to tell me, "Overweight, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol." So on 8/9/11, I weighed in at the doctor's office at 296lbs (I know I didn't look it, but I definitely felt it) and my LDL was in the 140s. My doctor said I was in the extremely obese column, which of course feels great to hear, and is kind of annoying because you want to be like,"Really? is that why it feels like I am carrying around a small middle schooler all day, I had no idea?"

So I scheduled to see the doc again two months later and on that visit I had dropped down to 285lbs, at that point all I had done was try and cut portion sizes and limit what I ate after 7:00PM. So fast forward to the new year and our adventure in the Daniel Fast began and kept going... and going... and going...

Before I reveal today's numbers I want to share my findings for why we all should eat a whole lot healthier. So about Adding Years to My Life:

According to the National Center for Health Statistics:
  • The risk of an early death goes up as weight increases. The NIH found even a 10- to 20-pound weight gain can increases the threat of premature death, especially in adults between the ages of 30 and 64. People with a BMI index higher than 30 had a 50 percent to 100 percent greater risk of early mortality.
  • The National Institute of Health says obesity is believed to significantly reduce life expectancy, particularly among younger adults. The most desirable BMI associated with the greatest longevity is 23 to 25 for whites and 23 to 30 for blacks.
  • According to the NIH, the maximum years of life lost (YLL) for white people in their 20s with a seriously high BMI of 45 was 13 for men and eight for women.
So as I was sitting there I was thinking about Ryan and the girls and how I can control being at birthday parties, college graduations, walking the girls down the aisle, birth of a grandchild, birth of a great grandchild, 50th wedding anniversary, grandkids college graduations... the list continues and fills with memories and experiences that I get to have because of some simple changes I decided to make in my life. When I started to think of my diet in that sense, it made it a lot easier to choose healthy over "happy".

The "happy" we focus on is the right now mentality we all have. The U.S. is an amazing country for many reasons, but from the food aspect we astound most anyone visiting from a foreign country just because of how many food options we have. But it is time we all really look at our choices in the proper light.

When faced with the question, "Is that double cheeseburger more important than meeting your grandkids?" What is your answer?

"Would you never drink soda again if it meant getting to dance with your spouse on your 50th wedding anniversary?" What is your answer?

They are hard questions and an even harder answers because it requires us to show our true selfish nature that desires the now. I realize that the good Lord could take me from this earth any day he likes, but I am determined for it to be no doing of mine. It can be a train wreck, plane crash, natural causes, but I have vowed to do everything in my power to ensure that it won't be because I have let my arteries clog with all the fat of the "happy" food choices I made over my lifetime.

Lastly for all those people who are wondering where to go from here... The Better than Vegan (copyright pending) diet definitely isn't for everyone, but it is a place to start over and reset your system so you can truly start anew on this journey of being that man or woman that we are all called to be.

So as I give you these numbers, understand that I work a desk job all day and still really haven't added any scheduled gym time. The one thing Ryan and I have added which ends up being more fun than anything is doing little workouts during commercial breaks of our shows, The right now attitude has us fast forwarding through commercials whenever we can, but now we use that time to do something that makes up for the other 40 minutes we are watching our shows.

Today at the doctor I weighed in (fully clothed) at 252lbs and my LDL is at 76. Statistics say with that weight loss and cholesterol change I have added upwards of 3-4 years to my life and possibly more depending on the study. Start thinking about it in that light and trust me it makes everything so much easier.

Justin

Valentine's day 2011 (Ryan is 9 months pregnant with Madison)

Feb 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment