Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shopping, now and then!

I love to shop. And really I don't know many women who don't. Bargain hunting for me is the equivalent to actual hunting for my husband. I love it. But it hasn't always been this way. Back in the day I can remember a terrible ordeal about buying a bra in a box. As a young teen with larger than normal breasts I was not lucky enough to get to wear the cute little bras you see in the stores. I needed support. My mother took me to Knopp & Metzger's (the local department store in Fredericksburg TX that is no longer there) and we looked at the lunch lady bras. Yep, in a box, silk, huge straps, the cone style. I had an absolute fit, refusing to wear a bra in a box.

It didn't stop at bras in a box. All of my friends would buy their clothes for school at all of the cute stores in the mall. I can remember buying my school uniform shorts (in junior high) in the men's department at old navy. My freshman year of high school was the first time that I was not required to wear uniforms to school. I was thrilled. My mom and I went on a huge shopping trip to San Antonio. I was bummed when I couldn't fit into the cute stores' clothes. But then it happened, I found the fat girls' safe haven...Lane Bryant! The catch, it was crazy expensive! My mom was able to get me a few cool outfits that would blend in and didn't look like I was wearing things from the woman's world department at Dillards. I will give it to plus size clothing that in the last 10-15 years they have really upped their game.

 But I was never able to buy from the cool stores, not until college when I lost the weight the first time. Shopping became way more fun. I was able to buy jeans from any store in the mall, I was able to try on size L tops instead of XL or XXL. I was able to buy more than purses and shoes and jewelery! I was in love!

Fast forward to now, and I am still thrilled every time I go into a store. I will look at a pair of jeans and think there is NO WAY these are going to fit me, and then they do. I pull out a L or XL top from the rack out of habit and they are too big, it is an awesome feeling to be a normal size and not 'speciality'. I love being a special person, and an individual but there are some aspects of life where it is nice to be 'normal'.

 It is sooooo much easier and affordable to shop for clothes now, and I have to say I love all of the options! There is more than one formal dress to choose from now. It truly is amazing.If the health benefits of losing the weight aren't enough for you, think of the fashion! It is awesome.



Also, I would like to apologize for the lapse in blogging, the baby turned a year old on Sunday and I had a packed schedule with my parents' visiting from Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment