Thursday, March 1, 2012

Being Obese is NOT a death Sentance!

I will say that on this journey I am always amazed at how many people share my struggle. However I guess I shouldn't be amazed when more than 1/3 of US adults are obese. When I tell people I used to weigh over 300 lbs I always get a "No Way" or "Your Kidding", but really I mean what are they going to say, 'oh yeah I can totally tell you used to be morbidly obese'.
I have found myself reaching out to people everywhere I go, and letting them know it's okay and that we are all struggling with something. But I always try to encourage them, and let them know that yes they are in a place in their health where they have a lot to work on...but they have an amazing gift...and that gift is the ability to make a change. Stop those behaviors that got them where they are now, and create a new reality for themselves. Being obese is NOT a death sentence, but it can be if you do not take a stand against your own addictions and bad behaviors.

When I listen to people tell their stories of reversing diabetes, coming off of 6 or more prescriptions, reversing their chances at heart disease, being able to run and play with their children, and accomplishing goal after goal, I am instantly rejuvenated! I love knowing that people are not only setting goals, but making real and long lasting life changes. Refusing to sentence themselves to an early demise because they can't say no to Twinkies and night after night of movies on the couch. Trading in TV time for a run, swapping fried chicken for steamed veggies. Ah! I am so excited for all of these people that have the opportunity of their lives right in front of them.

Yes when we start out on our weight loss and getting healthy missions it seems like we have soooooo far to go, but rather than looking at it that way think of it as the beginning of the rest of your life. A better life, a life where you are not a prisoner in your own skin!
That's me 2nd from the left, 6/23/05...I gained about 50 lbs to get to my heaviest before I took a stand!

(http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Your story continues to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have lost a lot of weight, and you look absolutely amazing. Congratulations on your achievement; I know you worked hard at it. This is a great blog, and I will need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete